Monday, October 4, 2010

Pot-bellied police, a janitor, and Mickey Mouse

The car I was left to drive to the office today was not allowed in the highways from 7am onwards, and in spite of my two phones alarming their micro tin hearts out to me at 5am, it took my Lola sitting next to me and shaking me by my shoulder, her voice urging me to get up, to really wake me up at the golden time of 6am. Enough time for a quick shower, I thought.

At 6:30am, I was already in the bottleneck at the end of East Avenue leading to EDSA. And by 7:30am, I got in my office. An hour and thirty early from our call time. It amazes me how, when I need it the most, I become invisible to the hounding, pot-bellied men of the MMDA. It's amazing.

Photo taken here.

*  *  *

Parking. A maintenance crew blocked my way. I slowed down and quietly, waited for him to cross the street. He took his time crossing, holding his broom and dustpan, and I figured that his turtle steps was a protest against arrogant drivers who beep him out of the way. The quick, snide look gave him away. My engine made sure to breathe heavily towards his direction.

Photo taken here.

*  *  *

Hungry, first thing I did when I got to my desk was remove the tape off of the lid of my rolled-up instant chocolate oatmeal and and then I poured some to my mug. Like dandruff, a lot fell on the carpeted floor. I let them be. I noticed that more was falling down the carpeted floor. SHIT! My oatmeal pack had been nibbled by Mickey Mouse! Fuck you Mickey Mouse!!!

Pissed, I threw out my oatmeal in one of the plastic bags I keep in my drawer and with a heavy heart, settled for instant hot chocolate. Fuck you Mickey Mouse!!! Better not show yourself, else I'll stomp you dead!

Photo taken here.

 *  *  *

My sister is leaving for Spain this weekend. The pang of the reality bit me during lunch today. Shit. But instead of sulking in my usual seperation anxieties, I cleared my mind and thought of upgrading the family album gift my sibs and I are giving to her to a care package full of her favorite things. Filipino chick flicks like "Got to Believe" and "Til there was You". Chocnut... and then my mind went blank. Twenty five years I've spent with her and I don't know what my older sister's favorites are at the snap of a finger. Sad face.

Tonight I'll very discreetly fish out her favorite things. Hmmm... I need creative seques.

*  *  *

As usual, I'm the last one out of the office. The color coding scheme forces me out of the road until 7pm. Sigh. I wish I had a bigger desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment